Looking for Floor Plans

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

jameson079

Looking for Floor Plans

Post by jameson079 »

Hey guys,
I'm new here and I'm not even sure if I'm posting in the correct forrum. But anyways.

I'm a Interior Design student at the Arts Institute of CA - SF and doing a project. The project consist of a 220,000 sq ft floor plan of my choice. Well I've decieded to use this place as a grocery store.

This project that I'm working on has brought me to your website. I've been looking for floor plans of anykind of grocery stores (past, future, and/or present, it really doesn't matter to me) and have not been having any luck.

If you guys know any sites or could point me into the right direction, that would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated :-D

Thanks you for your time
-Jameson
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Here's one from Storewanderer's collection, the former Lucky/Ralphs in Grass Valley, CA that is now becoming a Safeway:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85812748@N00/123589941/
Chris Sampang
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Looking for Floor Plans

Post by Groceteria »

jameson079 wrote:The project consist of a 220,000 sq ft floor plan of my choice. Well I've decieded to use this place as a grocery store.
FYI, that's about four or five times the size of the large Safeway at 16th and Potrero in SF. The biggest supermarkets being constructed today are generally in the 70K sq ft range. I think even most Wal-Mart Supercenters are only 180-200K sq ft. In other words, you're gonna have a hell of a large store there.

That said, are you just looking for layouts? Here are a couple historical ones from this site:

http://www.groceteria.com/colonial/colonial3.html

http://www.groceteria.com/ap/gallery/pages/Image80.html

You can contact me offline if you want larger versions of those. I may have a few others as well.

BTW, you can also pick up store maps at a lot of Albertsons stores in the Bay Area, or at least you used to be able to...
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Speaking of store maps, one easy source for them these days is any recent Lifestyle-remodeled Safeway - each one offers a green map brochure right after reopening.

And just found one Roadsidepictures had up for Lucky:
http://flickr.com/photos/54177448@N00/224168973/
Chris Sampang
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Try going through back issues of "Progressive Grocer". They have had a running store of the month feature for years that usually includes a floor plan. Some stores have been chosen specifically because of unusual floor plans and occasionally they've had follow-ups on what happened to unusual stores (usually at the turn of each decade). For a store that size, you'd probably want to look at prototypes for hypermarkets, which got a lot of attention in the late 70s and into the 80s. They run smaller, but would be the closet thing to what you want. Examples of Meijer stores or old Schwegmann's markets in New Orleans probably would be helpful, along with Wegman's stores in the North East. These would still run below 220K, but would give you some idea how people have planned large supers. You also might want to see if you can get floor plans for large public markets (e.g., Reading Terminal Market in Philly or West Side Market in Cleveland) which might give you ideas for how to fill space and what categories you might consider for specialty departments.
jameson079

Post by jameson079 »

Thanks for the replies guys!

They are very helpfull. In fact I didn't even know they had store directories. The links to the vintage stores are great!

Yes, the size that I'm working with is very huge. I was checking out some website (Safeway.com I belive) and they were saying to open up a shop all you need is a minimum of 70k sq ft.

With lots of space to play with I'm planing to make it a one stop for all kind of maket. A Bank, Barista coffe bar, pharmacy, and anything else I can think of that would make this a one stop shoping convience for everyone. Taking hints from "Weirdest combination grocery store..." I think theres some great i deas in there.

As for now, I going to try to do some field research and take some interior pictures. The Safeway down the street from the AT&T ball park for the Giants is where I'm planing to go to. I don't the exact location but from the outside that Safeway seems pretty big.

Thanks again for you time and help you guys!
-Jameson
socalgrocer

store maps

Post by socalgrocer »

Currently, store maps can be picked up together with the weekly ad at customer service counters or by the front entrances. They are also found on the wooden newspaper racks inside the store (where they put the sunday papers). These Southern California grocery stores issue individual paper maps for each store site:

- Winco Foods (71 Freeway at Rio Rancho, Pomona)
- Lucky (Supervalu/Albertsons operated) (Valley and New, Alhambra)
- All socal Albertsons/Albertsons-Savon
- Stater Bros (only on Grand Opening week, when they give to all shoppers an information packet. Vons issues maps but again, grand openings only.
- All socal Ralphs and Food4Less locations. Ralphs Marketplace and Ralphs Fresh Fare has them printed on thick gloss.

socalgrocer
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

Maps for Lucky, Albertsons/Sav-on, Albertsons, only remodeled VONS, and only remodeled Smith's can be found in Las Vegas.