Mystery store: 11535 Hayes St, Detroit, MI

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

Andrew T.
Veteran

Mystery store: 11535 Hayes St, Detroit, MI

Post by Andrew T. »

From last weekend's Detroit metro trip:
detroit.jpg
This is a modestly-sized building, less than 10k square feet...I captured the long side, so it seems bigger than it really is. The original corner entrance and display windows have been sealed over (a new "front" for the store has been carved out of what was originally the back), but it's pretty obvious what the original configuration would have looked like.

Kroger is my first guess, but this could have been built for a local chain (Food Fair, Wrigley, etc.) or an independent. Any ideas?
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: Mystery store: 11535 Hayes St, Detroit, MI

Post by Andrew T. »

Addendum: After Googling the heck out of the address, I dug up evidence of this site being an Ace Hardware store in 1975 and a Federal Merchandise Mart store in 1958. So this may not have ever been a supermarket at all. Not the first time I've been fooled...
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull