Columbus OH: Indianola Avenue

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Columbus OH: Indianola Avenue

Post by Groceteria »

Based on the shape of the sign, I'd guess an A&P that was still there following the introduction of the new logo in the 1970s, but I'm definitely not sure, and I don't even know when A&P left Columbus.

The old discount/department store in the background (now a thrift store) is kind of interesting too.

danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

A&P would have left Columbus in the mid-to-late 1970's, a couple years before they left Pittsburgh, but about the same time they left Cleveland.

As for the raised sign for the department store, this may have been an early Schottenstein's/Value City, as the company is based in Columbus. It's hard identifying their architecture, as most of their stores have been former discount stores themselves.
robsster
Contributor

Post by robsster »

Binky says that this was once a Max's. He doesn't recall it being an A&P, however, the sign shape certain suggests otherwise.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

It seems discount stores have a fondness for zig-zag canopies!
dirtyharry667

Re: Columbus OH: Indianola Avenue

Post by dirtyharry667 »

Groceteria wrote:Based on the shape of the sign, I'd guess an A&P that was still there following the introduction of the new logo in the 1970s, but I'm definitely not sure, and I don't even know when A&P left Columbus.

The old discount/department store in the background (now a thrift store) is kind of interesting too.
The grocery store was always an A&P, then it was a Super Duper, then it was Food Maxx. The latter two were both Flickinger name plates.

The discount store is a Tempo/Buckeye Mart. The main office and warehouse for Tempo-Buckeye Mart was in the brick building next door at 3636 Inianola Ave.