Inside bigg's

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

pseudo3d
Veteran

Inside bigg's

Post by pseudo3d »

Auchan, Hypermart USA (Wal-Mart's hypermarket concept), and American Fare (Kmart's hypermarket concept) all had "stores-within-a-stores" inside them as well as multiple eateries (Auchan had a Taco Bell, McDonald's, and maybe another; American Fare had Taco Bell and TCBY; and Hypermart USA also had a food court, but I'm at a loss about bigg's. Granted, their stores were huge, up to 245,000 square feet, and were usually attached to a mall somehow (bigg's Place, Thornton Town Center, Forest Fair Mall) but I'm wondering if they had any stores inside of them, or if that was just all retail.
mesly33
Contributor

Re: Inside bigg's

Post by mesly33 »

I used to shop at the Forest Fair location back in the 90's. The only things I can recall is that the FF location had an Izzy's Deli Counter at the back of the store and I believe they had a bank at the front of the store (not sure what bank). Other than those two, I don't think they had any other "stores within a store".
pseudo3d
Veteran

Re: Inside bigg's

Post by pseudo3d »

That would imply, then, that it was all store? I know that many of the hypermarkets padded their square footage with the "mini-mall", and that the actual space would be much less (comparable to modern supercenters).