Dillon's @ 1402 E. 20th, Joplin MO

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

lugnut
Contributor

Dillon's @ 1402 E. 20th, Joplin MO

Post by lugnut »

This is (what seems to me, anyway) a fairly old-looking Dillon's store here that's still going strong. I'm not sure how long it's been a Dillon's, though it's at least as far back as 1985. I think perhaps the walls inside had been repainted since I was last in this store several years ago, but if nothing else you can see the tile that's always been there, and the exterior that hasn't changed at all.

rich
Veteran

Re: Dillon's @ 1402 E. 20th, Joplin MO

Post by rich »

Dillon bought Gerbe's, so I'd start with that.
robdude
Contributor

Post by robdude »

That interior is a typical Kroger remodel- a lot of Kroger stores got these around the middle of this decade. It wasn't pretty, if you ask me. My local Kroger got this probably 2003 (+/- 2 years) along with an ugly new facade (nearly all Krogers built after 1995 or so in MI are ugly). The newest remodels (post-2005 or so) are actually quite nice.
terryinokc
Contributor

Post by terryinokc »

I'm reasonably sure that this was always a Dillons.....I did a two day trip last fall to about 20 Dillons locations in towns across Kansas.....this exterior is very similar to several other stores I saw. Most of the stores have the same interior remodeling package as this too......I am working on getting some Dillons postings together from this trip......several great pictures. There was one store in St. John Kansas that was a 1940's version store on the square in the downtown block....great neon signs, glass brick, and about the size of a small 7-11---it has four aisles and two checkouts......this is a lost in time store........another gem was one in Derby Kansas....I was there a week before an interior remodel was going to happen.....still had a very "Brady Bunch" feel with great 60's wall graphics.
lugnut
Contributor

Post by lugnut »

If the interior is a mid-decade thing, that sounds about right - the last time I'd been in this store was probably six or seven years ago and it had still had the "old" interior then. I can't say I was too surprised to see it had changed, but it was still kinda disappointing considering it had been the same for so long. One question though, is this tile part of the new remodel as well? I was thinking perhaps it was original, or at least what had been here before, but I could well be wrong.

Either way, I'm kinda always glad to see this store surviving, considering it's sort of off the mainly-traveled path and considering there aren't many grocery stores left in Joplin these days at all really compared to years before, the Supercenters having long since seemingly decimated many of them.
Terry K
Contributor

Post by Terry K »

It was a Dillon thru and thru. Its now gone =(

Reports coming from Joplin say Kroger will rebuild at an as yet undisclosed location (they don't know)
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

Terry K wrote:It was a Dillon thru and thru. Its now gone =(

Reports coming from Joplin say Kroger will rebuild at an as yet undisclosed location (they don't know)
Wow, not often you get a before-and-after like that. Crazy.
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
lugnut
Contributor

Post by lugnut »

Approaching 4 months since the tornado and, as far as I know, there's still no progress at the former Dillon's site or any real definitive word as to whether it's coming back or not. Like Terry K. posted above, there were initial reports that they would rebuild, but in the meantime I've also heard some say that they're not coming back. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't - this store was sort of a "ghetto spot" anyway that probably only lasted because it was located in the middle of the city where there were no longer any other stores around that were within walking distance for the folks living nearby or didn't require a drive to the east or west ends of town.

If they do rebuild, they're probably better off staying at the same location, even if there's the stigma of a few people having died there when the storm hit. Moving in either direction is going to place them too close to the Wal-Mart Supercenters that killed off most of the city's other groceries.