A&P: 2624 West Jefferson, Trenton MI

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

Rimes
Contributor

Old A&P in Trenton

Post by Rimes »

On Tuesday, I went to Trenton, MI's old downtown area on West Jefferson to add its address details to my webpage and take photos.

I had known that A&P had a store at 2620 West Jefferson from at least 1945 to at least 1970 -- possibly earlier, possibly later as well. (Before 1945, during the 1936-40 period, A&P had a store just down the street, at 2764 West Jefferson, but that building no longer exists.)

By 1975, A&P had become Gerry's Market and by 1980, Joe's Prime Beef. So, I made sure to take a picture of 2620 today:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/ ... county.jpg

The store next to it, with the dark red canopy, is 2624 West Jefferson. I don't have anything at that address in the old city directories, so it appears that originally 2620 occupied that area as well -- it was all one grocery store. When the grocery store went out of business, it was split into two different small stores, as you see today -- one at 2620, one at 2624.

Here is a photo I took showing 2624 (on the right side of the picture):

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/ ... ngrove.jpg

I was looking at this photo today when I noticed something that I hadn't noticed at the time that I was there taking the photos. Tell me if it's my imagination or not, but I believe that you can see a faint labelscar for the old A&P logo (in a circle) where the two canopies (2620 & 2624) meet. Next time I go up that way, I'll have to check it out again.
Speedway79

Trenton A&P and others

Post by Speedway79 »

I'll have to check that one out myself, I can't really recall a visible labelscar, but it doesn't mean its not there. I remember back in the 80's one half of this structure housed menswear store and the other housed a hallmark card shop. And rimes, a little friendly advice to you, the Trenton telephone book is a notoriously inaccurate source. I know for a fact that up through the middle of this decade it still listed a Jefferson avenue address for the "Clark Super 100 Filling Station" which hasn't operated under that flag for over 20 years.

I'm getting married tomorrow morning, but after things settle down in the near future theres a few sites I think we should visit in Detroit, mostly intact former Farmer Jack stores and a couple A & P centennials, they're said to have 100% original interiors.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

I thought I saw the labelscar too, so I took your photo, ran it through photoshop and adjusted the colors, and now you can see it very plainly...

steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

whoa interesting! Are those other label scars next to the A&P one also?
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

yeah, seems to strech the length of the storefront... likely held the "SUPER MARKET" lettering
Rimes
Contributor

Re: A&P: 2624 West Jefferson, Trenton MI

Post by Rimes »

Recently someone posted this photo on a Facebook group which shows this former A&P in December 1984, when it was a Joe's Prime Beef grocery store. (Previously it had been a Gerry's Market -- the word "Market" can still be seen underneath the sign -- but from the 1940s to 1960s this location had been an A&P.)
Attachments
Joe's Prime Beef, Dec. 1984
Joe's Prime Beef, Dec. 1984