odd sighting on Google Maps - Giant store directory outdoors

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

dcgrocery
Contributor

odd sighting on Google Maps - Giant store directory outdoors

Post by dcgrocery »

What an odd finding while I was browsing Google Maps. This is the side view of the loading dock belonging to a supermarket in Baltimore, MD. The store currently operates as Hilton Supermarket at 20 South Hilton Street. Anyone know what this store started out as? I'm certain it wasn't a Giant. The Giant signage must have been picked up at a fixture auction. Strange that they stored it outside. Wonder what the store looks like inside. Any Baltimore people here?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2852405 ... !5s2011-06
BillyGr
Veteran

Re: odd sighting on Google Maps - Giant store directory outd

Post by BillyGr »

With the way the side of the building facing the (small) parking area looks, it almost looks like it could have been some kind of garage at one point (the rear sets of windows and entry ways replaced by garage doors would make it similar to a Goodyear or such type location, and those often have little parking as well as most vehicles are not left for long).

Just a guess?
dcgrocery
Contributor

Re: odd sighting on Google Maps - Giant store directory outd

Post by dcgrocery »

BillyGr - could have been a garage, but looks more like a 1950's market - especially when seen using Google Earth View. Seems like the entire front of the building was expanded by about 12 feet, thus having a new façade. Here are some photos I found online. The red hanging department signs are definitely recycled Giant Landover from the 80's.
Attachments
hil2.jpg
hil1.jpg