Some Central PA Pictures

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

mjhale
Contributor

Some Central PA Pictures

Post by mjhale »

On a recent trip to see my parents I took some pictures of some of the buildings that have been discussed in a couple of the central PA threads.

Original Giant-PA location in Chambersburg, PA (now Super Shoes):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjhale/5481939459/

Possible former Acme in Chambersburg, PA (now Dollar Tree):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjhale/5482536640/

Former Centennial A&P in Carlisle, PA (now Tractor Supply Company):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjhale/5482596438/

A possible former grocery. I could swear this was a grocery in the 1991-1995 time frame when I was at Shippensburg University. Any thoughts?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjhale/5482537262/

And a former 7-Eleven in Scotland, PA (north of Chambersburg - Now a decent Italian Restaurant):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjhale/5482537472/

I'm interested in any additional information about these buildings.
catnapped
Contributor

Re: Some Central PA Pictures

Post by catnapped »

That TSC in Carlisle was indeed an A&P (and Superfresh later)
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Super Shoes was a Giant? Do you mean Super G/Maryland Giant? When would it have closed? Was it replaced? This store looks like a Food Fair to me, but I heard the Dollar Tree might actually have been a Food Fair. The parking lot streetlights this store has were used by Acme, A&P, and Food Fair at different locations. And the second to last store I heard was a Safeway.

Also, the "Sunnyway" Great Valu on the other end of Chambersburg was some combination of Food Fair/Pantry Pride, Acme, Grand Union, and maybe IGA, but I am not sure which. This store has an almost exact twin in Greencastle which has been through the same evolutions. The "Rugged Warehouse" store (down from Wal-Mart/Walmart) is a former Acme in disguise, along with the Gold's Gym or Planet Fitness (can't remember which) downtown. Are you familiar with the newer Hobby Lobby and furniture store next to it? This building was a Grant City or Woolco, also can't remember which. And this is a guess but I think the Jo-Ann Fabrics down from Acme/Rugged Warehouse was a Thrift Drug or maybe Rea & Derick drugstore.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

catnapped wrote:That TSC in Carlisle was indeed an A&P (and Superfresh later)
Wow! When did Super Fresh leave Carlisle?
mjhale
Contributor

Post by mjhale »

Ephrata1966 wrote:Super Shoes was a Giant? Do you mean Super G/Maryland Giant? When would it have closed? Was it replaced? This store looks like a Food Fair to me, but I heard the Dollar Tree might actually have been a Food Fair. The parking lot streetlights this store has were used by Acme, A&P, and Food Fair at different locations. And the second to last store I heard was a Safeway.
No Giant-PA (Carlisle). The only PA stores Giant-MD (Landover) ever had were the Super G stores in the Philadelphia area. I don't remember the second to last store being a Safeway when I was at Shippensburg. Perhaps it was an independent at that time.
Also, the "Sunnyway" Great Valu on the other end of Chambersburg was some combination of Food Fair/Pantry Pride, Acme, Grand Union, and maybe IGA, but I am not sure which. This store has an almost exact twin in Greencastle which has been through the same evolutions. The "Rugged Warehouse" store (down from Wal-Mart/Walmart) is a former Acme in disguise, along with the Gold's Gym or Planet Fitness (can't remember which) downtown. Are you familiar with the newer Hobby Lobby and furniture store next to it? This building was a Grant City or Woolco, also can't remember which. And this is a guess but I think the Jo-Ann Fabrics down from Acme/Rugged Warehouse was a Thrift Drug or maybe Rea & Derick drugstore.
The Hobby Lobby building was an abandoned shopping center for the entire time I was at Shippensburg. Only recently (perhaps the past 5-7 years) was it remodeled and redeveloped. I always wondered what that building was originally.
catnapped
Contributor

Post by catnapped »

Ephrata1966 wrote:
catnapped wrote:That TSC in Carlisle was indeed an A&P (and Superfresh later)
Wow! When did Super Fresh leave Carlisle?
Couldn't give an exact date but I think they were gone by the mid 90s. I moved here in '95 and the store was gone the first time I traveled to the Carlisle area. The only three left in the region at the time were Enola, Mechanicsburg, and Etters...little by little all of which disappeared from the area.
danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

I'm pretty sure you have them reversed. The Dollar Tree was the old Giant, the Super Shoes the old Food Fair. I've seen old pictures of the Chambersburg Giant, it didn't have a pylon.

There's a lot of errors in this:

Sunnyway stores have been operated by them from the start. There's elements of other supermarkets there, but I think moreso of 1960's/1970's Weis than anything else, who as far as I know of, was absent from Chambersburg until they built the 90's store on Wayne Ave. I believe until that point they were absent from Franklin County altogether, considering the longtime Shippensburg store was on the Cumberland County side. The space beside the Chambersburg Sunnyway was a Rite Aid a while back.

The Gold's Gym Downtown at Southgate is a former Ames that closed when the chain went bankrupt. The building next to it I suspect may have been a former supermarket, but I'm unsure as to what. Acme is the one I haven't quite uncovered in Chambersburg. I don't have my old list of Ames store numbers to know who it came from, a 200-series would mean King's, a 500-series would mean it came from Murphy Mart. It definitely was NOT Zayre. Zayre was never in Chambersburg.

The Hobby Lobby/Just Cabinets out on 30 was the original Ollie's (Ollie's owns Just Cabinets). Before that, it was Nichols and Pharmhouse. The Pharmhouse section ended up Farm & Country, who sold out to TSC, then TSC moved to the new store nearby. Nichols went out of business in 1990 or 1991.

The old Dollar General in that plaza with the Rugged Wearhouse that's now closed (I'm not sure what's in there now) was a Thrift Drug back in the day. I don't think it ever made it to Eckerd.

The building "possibly a supermarket" on 11 was a former 70's Safeway. There is no doubt in my mind on that. It may have been an independent or operated by someone in the 90's, but it opened as a Safeway, and would have been closed in the 1985 purging of the Mid-Atlantic division.

And I vaguely remember the Super Fresh in Carlisle. 1995-1996 would be about when I thought it closed as well.
catnapped
Contributor

Post by catnapped »

Apparently there was a Grant City store at the Lincoln Way Shopping Center (according to the Gettysburg newspaper archives on Google).

Also interesting to note that A&P (in namesake) stuck around until at least 1986 in parts of the area. Figured most of the stores had changed over to Superfresh but guess not.