Kroger in Gassaway, WV

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Andrew T.
Veteran

Kroger in Gassaway, WV

Post by Andrew T. »

Last week I went on a trip to West Virginia to visit my hometown and tie up some other loose ends. While I was there, I took the opportunity to check out the Kroger superstore in Gassaway; the last (or possibly second-to-last) superstore I was aware of in the state still in operation with original exterior signage.

Unfortunately, I discovered that the original rectangular "Kroger" sign had in fact been recently replaced...in the two or so years since Google last drove past the building, no less. However, the original "Delicatessen," "Bakery," and "Prescriptions" signs (the lastmost placed over the entrance to the attached SupeRx drug store, still in operation as a CVS) were still present and accounted for; and aside from a bit of paint and part of the front walkway being punched out, the original exterior was well preserved.

Here are some additional photos of this store:

Another front view, peering past the water drops on the car window.
Front view looking the other way, showing the vintage "Prescriptions," "Bakery," and "Delicatessen" signs.
Cube sign by roadway.
Interior, facing bread & rolls.
Interior, peering over the shelves. Note that there are three windows into the mezzanine office rather than the usual two.

This store had a counterclockwise interior layout, as opposed to the clockwise layout most of the superstores I've seen have. Inside, the store was a bit underwhelming: The original floor tiling, refrigeration and case equipment, and suspended lighting had all been replaced; the decor package was the circa-2000 "millennium" style that seemingly all Kroger stores in the area have; and the blocked-off front windows and lack of natural lighting made the store feel a tad bit claustrophobic inside. It was still a nicely-arranged store for what it was, though.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull