New Shoprite-Daleville, Pa.

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

New Shoprite-Daleville, Pa.

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

At first when drpep mentioned this store, I honestly thought it was a mistake. After seeing the pictures and noticing a mention of what it previously was, it all fits. My parents shopped this store a lot in the '70's when we lived there. First off, that is NOT the store's original location. It was first called Bill's Market and located along Route 435 in a very small, ramshackle shopping plaza. This was located directly across from the intersection of 435 and 502 not far from the current location. The store was previously a grocery and not much to look at to say the least but it caught on after opening in the somewhat early '70's which was followed by the new store on 502 which is now the Shoprite. I'm guesstimating and will say that the new store opened maybe around '78 or so and was still called Bill's Market; the Shursave moniker would come along much later. Here's an interesting tie in for drpep: there was also a Bill's Shursave in Mt. Pocono which became a Shop Rite as well. In it's previous live(s), it was a Bi-Lo (Penn Traffic Banner) and was originally an A+P opening in '74 or so as a replacement for an older centennial down 611 a ways headed toward Tobyhanna-not sure if the centennial is still standing though. You might want to check this one out if you are in the area another time.
drpep
Contributor

Post by drpep »

You can still see the Shur Save outline under the Shoprite sign.

TW, I triple checked that a Shoprite was really there before I made the trip.
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Looked into this a little more and noticed that both this store and the Mt. Pocono location are still called Bill's Shop-Rite which would suggest the same ownership as when they were both Shur-Save. The Shop-Rite banner would certainly offer much more options in the way of advertising and promotion and supplier support plus it's a great way for them to put down more of a foot print in NE Pa.
drpep
Contributor

Post by drpep »

I had read on someones retail blog that there had been a ShopRite or two in the Wilkes Barre area earlier this decade. There were photos of what was in the building before ShopRite, as Shoprite and after. I forget the blog's address.
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

The first known (to me) Shop-Rite in NE Pa. was in Eynon, Pa. which is between Scranton and Carbondale on US Route 6. That store opened I'm going to say sometime in 1980 in a former A+P which opened in either 1974 or '75 and closed sometime in 1979. It closed sometime in the mid '90's and was replaced by a Price-Rite which is Shop-Rite's impact price banner. That has since closed as well and now I have no idea what might be there now if anything. Their presence in Pa. has been more or less concentrated in the Phila. area to date.
drpep
Contributor

Post by drpep »

http://www.wyomingvalleyphotos.blogspot.com

Type Shoprite in the search.