Safeway Stores in NY and PA

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Gary21228
Contributor

Re:

Post by Gary21228 »

TheStranger wrote:
Transit Road wrote:Safeway's Pennsylvania Division most likely included the South Central PA area - Harrisburg, Lancaster, and York. York is about 50 miles north of Baltimore, MD and still has former Safeway outlets. One I recall is now an "Ollie Bargain Outlet" on Queen St.
Checking the Ollie website, that location isn't listed...do you have an address or intersection for it? Live Local has birdseye shots of that area so we'd be able to see the building.

Ollies has relocated and the former Safeway that it occupied has been torn down. There was also a 70's Safeway in Shrewsbury, PA, just over the MD line. After Safeway retrenched from PA in the mid 80's it was taken over by Baltimore area independent Valu Food. After Valu Food closed, the store was redeveloped into office space.
brainscott

Re: Safeway Stores in NY and PA

Post by brainscott »

Hey there..!! Nice stuff..!! Thank you for sharing this with us..!!
BOHACKIAN

Post by BOHACKIAN »

Jared wrote:The riverhead safeway is still operating as a bestyet supermarket.

EDIT: And i live around the block from the one in patchogue. It is now a blockbuster/ goodwill. They still have the original lighting intact. And the big S piller is still standing

ACTUALLY THE BEST YET IS NOT IN THE OLD SAFEWAY BUILDING! IT'S LOCATED ACROSS THE STREET TO THE NORTH.
Jared
Contributor

Post by Jared »

RoleModel wrote:Here's a Safeway ----> Finast on Montauk Highway in East Patchogue.
safeway.jpg
Finast closed in 1988 upon the opening of the Medford Finast (which eventually was replaced in the same shopping center in 2005 after turning into Edwards then Stop & Shop). The East Patchogue Finast is now a Blockbuster/Goodwill.
UPDATE: this building is now sitting empty
i remember shopping in this store when it was finast ! i lived right down the road next door to the store(washington ave) near saxton (highschool at the time) middleschool. this was well before sunrise highway was made into a highway and you could ride washington right into town. I remember when that finast opened in 1988, geez that store was only 13 years old when stopNshop put a brandnew store up. It wasn't in the worst shape
Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania »

Jared wrote:
RoleModel wrote:Here's a Safeway ----> Finast on Montauk Highway in East Patchogue.
safeway.jpg
Finast closed in 1988 upon the opening of the Medford Finast (which eventually was replaced in the same shopping center in 2005 after turning into Edwards then Stop & Shop). The East Patchogue Finast is now a Blockbuster/Goodwill.
i remember shopping in this store when it was finast ! i lived right down the road next door to the store(washington ave) near saxton (highschool at the time) middleschool. this was well before sunrise highway was made into a highway and you could ride washington right into town. I remember when that finast opened in 1988, geez that store was only 13 years old when stopNshop put a brandnew store up. It wasn't in the worst shape
More like 17 years, there were a few remodels but nothing overly serious was done until late 2004 when they demolished the middle of the shopping center for the new store which opened spring 2005.
Jared
Contributor

Post by Jared »

Hulkamania wrote:
Jared wrote:
safeway.jpg
More like 17 years, there were a few remodels but nothing overly serious was done until late 2004 when they demolished the middle of the shopping center for the new store which opened spring 2005.
yes still, i feel like compared to some of the other stores in the area that this store was fairly new