Rockland County, N.Y.

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Mr. Shopper

Rockland County, N.Y.

Post by Mr. Shopper »

:D I grew up in the Rockland County area. We had Grand Union's in several towns. We had a few Waldbaum's. I'm not sure if we had any centennial A&P's. That would be interesting to know. I know we had a Pantry Pride. In nearby Nanuet. I believe it was next to a Genovese drugs. That was in the '70's.
maynesG
Veteran

Rockland County 1970 Supermarkets

Post by maynesG »

Hi , I lived in Rockland County inthe 70!s. I have a few more stores to add to your list. Finast had 3 . units in the county. Pearl River a 1950 Safeway, New City buiilt by Finast before they purchased Safeways Ny
division and Pamona built in the late 70!s The last store built by Finast before retreating from the western shore of the Hudson River.
Interestingly, Grand Union in Stoney Point opperated two units
in the same town on the same road half mile apart. The oldest of the
two closed on Sundays. They also opperated a Basics unit and a
conventional unit in the same lot in Nanuet.
A Centenial unit did exist in Pearl River across from the Finast, it
closed and and was painted the color of a Hersey Bar and became a Brown Bell market
Pauldell71

Re: Rockland County, N.Y.

Post by Pauldell71 »

I am from Rockland county and we had several A&P Centennial store. There was on in Nyack on route 59 right at the corner of Mountain View Ave. It closed in 1982ish and was then a restaurant supply and then rockland Nissan. It is now vacant. It looked like an A&P until about 4 years ago when the Nissan dealership refurbished the front of the building.

There was one in Suffern, NY that closed in the 70's.

There was one in Haverstraw on Route 9W that also closed in the mid 70's and became the Nyack hospital walk in clinic and now is a Met food.

There was the one mentioned in pearl river which I belive was demolished and is now a CVS.

There was one in New City that was there from the 50's and was expanded at some point in the 60's or 70's. there was a metal joint that went the length of the store from front to back separating the old section from the new section (with the barrel roof) and also had a basement with the conveyor belt in aisle 5 into the basement. (I worked in this store for 3 years before being transferred). The store was converted to a food basics in 2001 (big mistake) and then was closed down in 2004. It is now a CVS (what a surprise).

There was also a store in Tappan which is now the tappan pub. down the road in northvale there is also an old Centennial store that is now a cost cutters.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

I remember those A@P1s. I remember that A&P closed the unit in Tappan and doubled the size of the Nortvale unit, because people from New York were driving over the state line to
Northvale to escape the higher sales tax.
Renovations done and in typical A&P luck a brand new spanking Shop Rite was built down the street thus cutting A@Ps volume in half and led to its closing. Funny thing is, if A&P had left the original dimensions to the Nortvale location alone. It migth be open to this day as its voulume cost ratio would have been fine. Strange thins always seemed to happen to both A&P and Finast in those days
venus

Post by venus »

maynesG wrote:I remember those A@P1s. I remember that A&P closed the unit in Tappan and doubled the size of the Northvale unit, because people from New York were driving over the state line to
Northvale to escape the higher sales tax.
Renovations done and in typical A&P luck a brand new spanking Shop Rite was built down the street thus cutting A@Ps volume in half and led to its closing. Funny thing is, if A&P had left the original dimensions to the Northvale location alone. It migth be open to this day as its voulume cost ratio would have been fine. Strange things always seemed to happen to both A&P and Finast in those days
The A&P location in NJ was in Norwood not Northvale. The Norwood A&P is now a Cost Cutters store.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Yes Venus is correct I simply has a slip of the tong and yes I new that the store is now a cost cutters every time we visit my inlaws in harrington Park we visit that store and drive six blocks to Northvale to visit with my wifes sister.Isimplyhad a brain cramp!
Thanks Gerry
venus

Post by venus »

The Tappan NY A&P has been split between two tenants, Tappan Pub and Gordon Carpets.

It still says A&P in the concrete in front of the building.

venus

Post by venus »

This is the former A&P in Norwood NJ. It is now a Cost Cutters. As I was taking the picture, a Shop-Rite truck was passing by.

autopaint-1

Post by autopaint-1 »

Just found this site. Does anyone remember the Daitch Shopwell on Rt 45 and Maple ave in Spring Valley? That was back in the 1960's