Mayfair Supermarket,Red Bank,NJ & NYC old Safeway questions

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

alok

Mayfair Supermarket,Red Bank,NJ & NYC old Safeway questions

Post by alok »

I noted in an old Red Bank,NJ newspaper ,ads for Mayfair Markets,ad said a Twin County Grocers. This was late 1950's.
Were these stores affilated with the Mayfair Supermarkets that were located on the west coast ?

Also, I know Safeway was located in the NYC area until I think the late 1950's. Anybody know the location of the last Safeway in the NYC area and when it closed ?
Also where was Safeway's NYC area offices located ?
I was told the reason Safeway closed around NYC was anti-trust concerns by feds against A & P and Safeway.
So Safeway's in NYC area became A&P's and A&P's on west coast became Safeways.
Is this correct ?

Al
werememberretail
Contributor

Re: Mayfair Supermarket,Red Bank,NJ & NYC old Safeway questi

Post by werememberretail »

alok wrote:I noted in an old Red Bank,NJ newspaper ,ads for Mayfair Markets,ad said a Twin County Grocers. This was late 1950's.
Were these stores affilated with the Mayfair Supermarkets that were located on the west coast ?

Also, I know Safeway was located in the NYC area until I think the late 1950's. Anybody know the location of the last Safeway in the NYC area and when it closed ?
Also where was Safeway's NYC area offices located ?
I was told the reason Safeway closed around NYC was anti-trust concerns by feds against A & P and Safeway.
So Safeway's in NYC area became A&P's and A&P's on west coast became Safeways.
Is this correct ?

Al
No. there was no swap between the Tea Co. and Safeway, though Safeway may have bought a block of A+P's in the West as the latter chain began getting out of the region. The Mayfair stores in the East were not affiiated with the Mayfair/Gelson's/El Rancho chain out West. the East Coast Mayfair stores were affiliated with the Twin Country Grocers wholesale Co-operative based in North Jersey which trades as "Foodtown" and Mayfair was the biggest member of Foodtown until the 1990s. and though A&P and maybe Safeway may have gotten some federal heat on their then massive operations in the 40s and 50s Safeways exit from the NYC area was more a matter of profitability than gov't issues the NYC (originally the Mutual Supermarkets chain purchased by Safeway ) stores were underperforming assets. Safeway exited the area in the early 1960s and sold the stores as a group to the First National Stores (Finast) chain out of Massachussets the New York stores were briefly known as Safeway-First National before switching officially to "Finast" later in the 60s. Interestingly enough, there were a number of New Jersey stores in the division including a couple of ex-Safeways that were sold to Mayfair/Foodtown in 1977. the Finast stores not sold over time were mainly rebannered "Edwards" by the time Royal Ahold, a big grocery store conglomerate based in the Netherlands bought control of Finast in 1988, Seven years later, Ahold bought the Mayfair/Foodtown chain and renamed them "Edwards" they later bought the competing Stop & Shop chain in New England and after an unsuccessful merger attempt with Pathmark, renamed the Edwards chain (formerly First National/ Finast and Mayfair Foodtown) Stop & Shop. I personally dont have the actual chronology of the Safeway NYC operations but there is a gentleman on this board named Gerry Maynes "MaynesG" whose father worked for First National and I think Safeway NYC before that, who probably can give you some info on that.

Cheers
werememberetail
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, A few things, The Mayfair in Red Bank is not the Foodtown yhat is now in the town The Red Bank Foodtown is A Finast/Safeway that was purchased by Food Circus along Atlantic Highlands and one other shore store that Finast had only built two years before. Tis was a year earlier then the Mayfair deal. Mayfair had a collection of their own stores, former Food Fairs and Finasts. The funny thing was that they would sell many of the Finast stores back to Ahold and they would be ran as Edwards'
Safeway and latter Finast would have their executive and Buying offices inside thei Kearney Warehouse' In the mid 60!s they would move to route 9w in Englewood Cliffs New Jersey and advetualy to The new Warehouse inn Windsor Lockes Conn. Fort a decade after the stores in NJ closed the Keazrney Warehouse and Englewood Cliffs wodls stay in opperation.
Safeway moved from the Ny Market after a year long strike in New Jersey and the signing the most expensive contract with 1262 then existed any where in the country.
Jared
Contributor

Post by Jared »

there is an old safeway that's empty in patchogue NY on mainstreet