What was this older empty supermarket near Atlantic City???

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

What was this older empty supermarket near Atlantic City???

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Type "6718 Black Horse Pike, Egg Harbor, NJ 08234" into Google Maps. This is the address of a Pathmark. But look at the smaller building to the left across the parking lot. It looks so familiar and there is no question it was a grocery store (not sure how I can really tell). The place has been empty for 15 years probably. A couple people on YouTube of all websites have mentioned it. Seems like it may have been an A&P and later a ShopRite. But if it was an A&P, it would have been a later one. The only mid-late 70's A&P I know of that never became a Super Fresh was in Warrington, PA. There seems to be no way this mystery store was a Super Fresh ever. A Super Fresh "Futurestore" from the 80's was across the street. And Super Fresh would have probably blocked another grocery store from opening here, even if they closed instead of moved the store. The place appears to have a long labelscar, but it is painted over pretty thick. This store was attached to the first Bradlees (now Forman Mills) in the Philadelphia area, which opened in 1974, a while before they bought Jefferson Ward. So that makes me think Stop & Shop, but I didn't think they ever had stores in South Jersey until the Super G takeover. And those stores had to be sold to ShopRite not long after.