Old Great American Store in Port Jervis near Colapse

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

maynesG
Veteran

Old Great American Store in Port Jervis near Colapse

Post by maynesG »

Hi due to the heavy rains in Port Jervis this week the strip center that housed both the old Acme and Great American Store has been closed by the city. The Great American store is a total loss according to the mayor and will have to be torn down. The Rite Aid/ Acme Store has suffered partial roof loss is closed but the Middletown unit is making deliveries in the Port Jervis area. Rite Aid company will make repairs to its building and will try to operate out of a trailer on the property. The other tenants cannot reopen untill the landlord makes repairs. The article was in todays Middletown Times Herald Record.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Re: Old Great American Store in Port Jervis near Colapse

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Was the Acme an A Frame? Could Rite Aid have been somewhere else in the center before Acme closed?
maynesG
Veteran

Re: Old Great American Store in Port Jervis near Colapse

Post by maynesG »

Hi, No flat roofed built in the late 50!s I worked there as a kid for a short time, but frankly I don!t think so
I do know that the store survived a few floods and numerous other ills. The landlord not willing to hold the line on the rent, or due repairs, the change in the area, The Middletown unit closing all led to this stores demise/
Port Jervis had three supermarkets at one time the Acme, the Great American and a colonial A&P which was converted to a Savv A Lot then closed leaving the town for a few years with out a supermarket. Recently the Sav ALot reopened with a state grant. It is hard to believv that a town that large couldn!t support a store. The population I guess has gotten use to shoping in Middletown or in N.J or perhaps P.A. wich all come together in this area.