Acme in Franklin Lakes, NJ?

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Rob Ascough
Contributor

Acme in Franklin Lakes, NJ?

Post by Rob Ascough »

I have records that indicate Acme had a store in Franklin Lakes at the intersection of Franklin Lakes and High Mountain Roads. I believe it was built in the 1960s, not sure when it closed down. Anyone have an idea where it was? The only commercial development is a strip mall in the northwest corner of the roundabout- one of the few you'll find in NJ- and is currently home to Market Basket (think a smaller Kings.) Nothing in the strip mall (Market Basket included, which has supposedly been in business since 1960) looks large enough to have housed a large (for the time) grocery store like an Acme. Historic Aerials doesn't show anything at the time, so does anyone here know more?
maynesG
Veteran

Re: Acme in Franklin Lakes, NJ?

Post by maynesG »

Hi, The Market Basket was a Kilroys Foodtown for many a year ( The other was in Glenrock),
I believe that it was an Acme and was closed as part of the Massacre that took place on the early 70!s ,when Washington Township, Montclair ,Ridgefield Park,Cliffside Park, Ramsey and about
10 others closed on the same day. A lot of them became FoodTowns.
Gerry
Rob Ascough
Contributor

Post by Rob Ascough »

Market Basket isn't very deep- is it possible the business next door was also part of the Acme, and the space was subdivided? There is a window on the side that goes all the way to the ground- maybe that was the original entrance?

I never knew about a bunch of stores being closed at once in the 70's. Speaking of which, where was the Ramsey store in that strip mall (Interstate Shopping Center?) It's hard to tell what was an Acme at one point.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, The shopping center was in the South bound lane of route 17. It once held two supermarkets the Acme which is the last building in the center with its exterior side wall facing 17. It also had a Grand Union at the other end of the center , with all of the other stores in the center. Across from this center in the North bound lane of 17 was the replacement store for Grand Union.
Yes indeed it was a bloody massacre migth have happened 1970/71 a lot of good people including a guy named Danny mCdade who managed Cliffside Park, lost their jobs. A lot of them went to work for Foodtown and was agoog friend of my family.
I think you are correct about the building being divided up in Franklin Lakes, at the time there really wasn!t enough people in town to support a store. Most people in the area shopped in Glen Rock, Midland Park, Ramsey or Oakland.
Rob_L
Contributor

Post by Rob_L »

What is now The Market Basket was originally an Acme. It closed in the early 70's and was replaced by Gristede's for a while. Then, Kilroy's was there, and now The Market Basket.

There were 3 supermarkets in town at one point- that one, the Grand Union on Franklin Ave, and also an IGA just up the street on Franklin Ave. as well. The IGA also closed in the early 70's from what I can remember.. It became an auto parts store afterwards, I'm not sure what it is these days...