Possible former supermarket in Fairfield, Nj

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

sgg
Contributor

Possible former supermarket in Fairfield, Nj

Post by sgg »

Was just passing by the Skyline Auto Auction on Rt. 46 in Fairfield, NJ and I noticed that the main building looks a lot like the Penn Fruit-style market that used to be in the Essex Green in West Orange, NJ (later Shop Rite, then Rickles). Is a large arched building that the arches go all the way to the ground on each side, and large flat front section. Does anyone know if Skyline was a supermarket at one time?
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Possible former supermarket in Fairfield, Nj

Post by Groceteria »

Seems unlikely based on its siting with respect to the street. The bird's-eye view at Bing didn't do much to convince me, either.
Rob Ascough
Contributor

Re: Possible former supermarket in Fairfield, Nj

Post by Rob Ascough »

I work not too far from there and as far as I know, it's always been Skyline. The building is pretty large, almost like an airplane hangar, and it's in the middle of a gigantic parking lot that was probably way too large to have been for a grocery store. It's far from the nearest town center, which is West Caldwell. It is currently home to a Shoprite and Stop & Shop and was home to a Kings, A&P and Acme at one point.