Former Shop Rite Morristown, NJ

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

sgg
Contributor

Former Shop Rite Morristown, NJ

Post by sgg »

Can anyone from NJ confirm whether there was once a Shop Rite on Speedweel Ave. in Morristown, NJ, I think near where the DMV is located? Saw an ad in an old newspaper that referred to it as "164 Speedwell Ave. near Henry St.", but there doesn't appear to be any store in that area that could have been a supermarket.
Max
Contributor

Re: Former Shop Rite Morristown, NJ

Post by Max »

As somebody who lives right next to Morristown, I can say with 100% certainty that there used to be a Shop Rite in town. However, it was not on Speedwell Avenue, but rather on Lafayette Avenue in the same building where Staples currently is now. This Shop Rite closed in 1993, and I believe that it opened circa 1983. (Regarding the location on Speedwell Avenue near the DMV , I was once told it was an Acme, though it may have been a Shop Rite at some point as well. Regardless, it ceased being a supermarket before I was born in 1980.)

Morristown now has only two chain supermarkets: King's (which is an upscale grocer) and A&P. And as has been discussed right here on Groceteria, the Morristown A&P is one of the few Centennial stores left in operation.
sgg
Contributor

Re: Former Shop Rite Morristown, NJ

Post by sgg »

About that location near the DMV on Speedwell, which current bldg. is that? Is is still standing, or was it replaced with something else?