Bohack superfmarket Suffolk County late 60's and early 70's

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Matysko

Re: Bohack superfmarket Suffolk County late 60's and early 70's

Post by Matysko »

Jarxed,

That Shoprite store in Farmingville was that the one off horseblock road. I used to go to Smith Haven mall that way and would go out of my way to pass there if I was entertaining because they have a fabulous deli and appetizing department. When riding West on the road the super market was on your right. I used to go there as early as the mid to late 70's. It was around for a time. I stopped going there around 1985 because lots more stores opened in my immediate area. No I never shopped in Edwsards.

Matysko.
Jared
Contributor

Post by Jared »

that shoprite is long gone.
BOHACKIAN

Post by BOHACKIAN »

Matysko wrote:
I do wish you or someone could remember the name of that special super Bohack's supermarket, which was in Patchogue and Center Moriches. They had one of the best deli and meat departments out on Long Island.

Matysko
MATYSKO, OUT EAST IN MATTITUCK ON ROUTE 25 IN THE EARLY 70'S AN ODDBALL SITUATED WOODED AREA WAS CLEARED AND A SUPERMARKET CALLED "THE VILLAGE" WAS BUILT AND WAS THE BIGGEST MOST COMPLETE FOOD STORE EAST OF THE COUNTY SEAT IN RIVERHEAD. THE STORE WAS DEF RUNNING UNDER THE BOHACK'S NAME I'M ALMOST 95% SURE. THE STORE WAS SHUTTERED AND CLOSED BY 1976-77 AS THE BOHACK'S EMPIRE ENDED AROUND THEN. A BIT FURTHER EAST NOT A 1/4 MILE, A NEW "L" SHAPED CENTER (STRIP MALL) WAS BUILT AND HAD AT FIRST AN A&P (REPLACING THE OLDER SMALLER ONE FURTHER EAST THAT IS NOW A HANDY PANTRY), A MULTIPLEX THEATER AND A GRANT('S?) CITY AS THE KEY STORES FLANKED BY TYPICAL SMALLER STORES. GRANT CITY WAS A SPIN-OFF OF W.T. GRANTS BUT SOMEWHAT SMALLER. I'M ALMOST POSITIVE GRANTS WAS GONE BY
THE LATE 70'S AND IT WAS DIVIDED UP FOR MORE THEATERS AND OTHER SMALLER STORES. THE LARGEST BEING A GENOVESE DRUG STORE WHICH IS NOW A RITE AID.

DOES THIS BOHACK'S/VILLAGE RING A BELL FOR PERHAPS THE NAME USED AT THE PATCHOGUE AND CENTER MORICHES LOCATIONS?
demolition
Contributor

Post by demolition »

I believe you are in luck. I also have an interest in Bohack supermarket as well, so I might be of help to you! This Bohack that is now a Waldbaum's supermarket was called Bohack village and to my knowledge Bohack had a special concept for the store. It was to put these bigger stores in not so developed neighborhoods and create a literal village in the town with the store being the center of the village. So far, this is what my research tells me so I may be wrong on a few points. But the one I am interested in is the one in center moriches! They used a fancy slate shingle steel truss roofing system that is now gone and I think it was built in 1973 but I don't know for sure. Does anyone out there know what exact year the Bohack village was built in center moriches? Sadly, Bohack went bankrupt about 5 years after the Bohack village concept was activated. Best, Demolition
Jared
Contributor

Post by Jared »

i would still love to find out where the bohacks in patchogue was. I know they started off with a small store on mainstreet but that's about the most I know. I have yet to find where the village store was.