Another old Rockland County market that is no longer there.

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

autopaint-1

Another old Rockland County market that is no longer there.

Post by autopaint-1 »

Does anyone remember the Daitch Shopwell on Rt 45 and Maple Ave. in Spring Valley? I think at some point it became a Waldbaums.
maynesG
Veteran

Re: Another old Rockland County market that is no longer there.

Post by maynesG »

Yes i do remember the Waldbaums in Spring Valley, but I never new it was once a Daitch Shopwell. They also had a unit in orangeburg not to far from Pearl River. That store converted to and A&P. I believe that it is now closed. Before the merger with A&P Waldbaums had a verry large Jewish trade and carried many specialty items that could not be found in other markets. They had a wonderful Jewish Style deli and as a catholic kid with a Jewish God parents( Yes he was a deli Manager with Kings) that lived a block from us as a kid I developed a taste for a great nosh! and often would visit that store.
Daitch Shopwell after A&P purchased them had a unit on 301 before it merged with 9W and opened a Food Emporium, It was a beautiful store and I am not sure it it is still open or not.
Mr. Shopper

Re: Another old Rockland County market that is no longer there.

Post by Mr. Shopper »

Hi!

Since I joined over a yr ago. I've been waiting for some Rockland County people! Being a lifelong native I consider myself somewhat of an expert. The Daitch was on Maple and N Main. Actually the A&P was on the corner. The Daitch was behind it somewhat tucked into the parking lot. It was glorious times in the Valley. My mom spoke of Daitch often when I was a kid. Although I don't remember it. I'm 49 I believe Daitch left around '63. I'm guessing about the year. It was never a Waldbaums. Waldbaum's was further north on 45 in Hillcrest where I grew up. The Hillcrest Shopping Center had Grand Union opened Aug '64. Next door was Waldbaum's opened about '66. Now Grand Union is a Bravo. The checkers are nasty. They don't speak english. The prices are higher than other markets. They cater to a lower class. Although the produce is fairly cheap. Waldbaum's became a NWL store. it's run by indians. It's also nasty. Being jewish my mom practically lived in Waldbaum's. The other Waldbaums was in Monsey on Rt.59. I remember this store vaguely since it closed in the early '70's.