Kmart in Paramus NJ: Former Penn Fruit/Shop-Rite?

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

dtb305

Post by dtb305 »

Copied from another forum, this Kmart is in Paramus NJ.
Attachments
kmartparamusnj.jpg
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

If my memory serves me, the K Mart in Paramus NJ, When I was a small kid , was originaly a Penn Fruit unit. When they closed it became a Shop Rite, then a K Mart. It sure looks beat for such affluent area.
Both Penn Fruit, and Grand Union in the area built stores with similar designs in Bergen County on highways such as rt4,17 and 46.
Hope it helps!
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Re: Kohl's Supermarkets in the Chicago Area

Post by lvkewlkid »

There's a Shop-Rite in Belmar or south of Belmar that looks like that K-Mart...
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Kmart in Paramus NJ: Former Penn Fruit/Shop-Rite?

Post by Groceteria »

I would assume that the Kmart took over adjacent space in addition to the Penn Fruit location, or else this is one really small Kmart. I've seen this photo before and I've always been curious about the history. It's good to get some information.
Transit Road
Contributor

Post by Transit Road »

This site was a Grand Way location in the late 1970's - early 1980's. The current Stop & Shop supermarket in the same plaza was a Grand Union supermarket.

The front of the store - now encased in stucco - was all glass. The store is much larger than a typical Penn Fruit or Shop Rite location of the era. The picture does not convey the actual size of the store.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, iread the reply that this store was a GrandWay and I called my mom who has lived in the are for over fifty years. i must apoligize.
This K Mart was a GrandWay, the Penn Fruit I was thinking of
was down the road opposite of The Bergen Mall.
It was common for Grand Union after selling the GrandWays to K Mart to open free standing storesin the same lot IE Closter NJ and
Nanuet Ny as stores that come to mind. Yes indeed these stores were large by the standard of the times.
Thanks for setting me straight and trigering my memory.
Mr. Shopper

Post by Mr. Shopper »

Yes it was a Grand Way. Grew up in Rockland about a half hours drive. We went there a lot as a kid. I bought a Gene Pitney album. "Town without Pity." there. Played it over and over. Don't remember when KMart came in. My dad says the ceiling was very high inside the store. He described it. Though I can't remember his exact words. Is there a certain style of ceiling that might not be allowed today? I don't remember the Grand Union. Though I remember I got a lot of toys here. Snoppy sno cone and a toy coke dispenser. I rember coming down Rt.17 stopping here when OJ was playing ball on the car radio. It was around 1971.