Older Winn Dixie decor

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

cjd

Older Winn Dixie decor

Post by cjd »

Was wondering if anyone knows about Winn Dixie's older decor packages? I can barely remember shopping there with my mom in 1993. Was a 1973 build store. I can vaguely remember the produce department had the curvy fiberglass produce displays and it seems like green signage or walls. Over the meat department was the Beef People sign with a cowboy. I can remember the back right corner of the store had a small hardware section with a big hammer on the wall. The bakery I can recall seeing a small sign with an outline of a man in a baker's hat wearing an apron and bow tie. The rest is escaping me.

This store closed in 1996 for a new Marketplace store and I'm pretty sure it probably never had any decor changes.

The 1980s decor i know was all chrome panels and colored neon. I saw this decor in most of the stores where I live now, prior to the early 2000s when they started using the purple and maroon department signs on a white background.

There doesn't seem to be any pictures of the 70s decor online. I did see old pictures once online of a Winn Dixie that was being used for a church and it had a very old decor still on the walls that looked 60s style with a fancy font.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Re: Older Winn Dixie decor

Post by wnetmacman »

Winn Dixie has been for a very long time a slow capital investor, which means that they invested very little into upkeep in their stores.

I live in South Louisiana. All 10 of our local stores were recently sold to Brookshire Grocery Company to become Super 1 Foods. Of these stores, 9 remained open. One had the 2005 decor package and one closed. The other 8 stores had a 1996 Marketplace decor package. 22 years! The Super 1 remodels were the most attention these stores had received in 22 years. Of active stores, I don't know any with packages older than Marketplace. I know when they were still in Texas, there were a few stores that didn't get remodeled out of the package that they put in when they remodeled the old Buddies stores in 1976. Some of these closed before the 2005 pullout, but not all. Many had a late 80's decor package that I never saw outside Texas.
Scott Greer
cjd

Re: Older Winn Dixie decor

Post by cjd »

I'm not sure which you mean by the 2005 decor package. If you mean the one with green, yellow, blue, beige, etc and lowercase white letters, that decor came out in 2008.

Of the ones in my area, one store was built in 1973. I assume it had the same decor as the store I shopped at with my mom. However this store had been updated to the 80s chrome and neon decor by the time we shopped there. That store closed around 2000. The second store in my town opened in 1983 with chrome and neon. It had a very minor remodel around 2002 to a white and purple decor. Then in 2008 it had a more major remodel to that decor which it currently has which I described above.

Another Winn Dixie I can think of was built in 1985 replacing an older early 70s store which I never saw. This store had the chrome and neon and was updated to the white and purple around 2003. It closed in 2014.

The store that replaced the one I was talking about in my original post was a Marketplace built in 1996. It had the pastel Marketplace decor. However, it was damaged by hurricane Charley in late 2004. It reopened with a very rare decor that typically only new Winn Dixies built in the early 2000s got. In fact I believe this store was the only non-new store to get that decor. It was probably the last as well, as it reopened in 2005 right as Winn Dixie declared chapter 11 bankruptcy.