Fayetteville, AR and the Frankenstein Safeway

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

Andrew T.
Veteran

Fayetteville, AR and the Frankenstein Safeway

Post by Andrew T. »

I've been to Arkansas exactly once in my life, and I wouldn't have gone there at all if I hadn't had a convention to go to. My travels took me to the northwest corner of the state...home to Rogers, Bentonville (of Wal-Mart fame), Springdale, and Fayetteville (home to the University of Arkansas).

I have a preference for researching cities I've been to, so all of these were a shoo-in when it came to picking places. Unfortunately I don't have access to Rogers or Bentonville directories, while Fayetteville turned out to be pitifully small in breadth and scope. (I still need to check on Springdale.) Nevertheless, I posted my findings here:

Fayetteville, AR chain grocery/supermarket history, 1939-59

It turned out that Fayetteville was a place that both Kroger and Safeway operated in...albeit at different times. That wasn't the most startling or interesting thing I discovered, though. Take a look at this!
safeway.jpg
This is 612 N. College Ave., a Safeway store that opened between 1950 and 1955. The building has a prominent barrel roof, and likely originated as an early pylon store with ridged brick details on the side, like this one in Maryland. At some point, though, a 1960s Marina facade was grafted onto the side of the store; perpendicular to the original roofline, no less!

Currently the building houses a roller rink, which seems oddly appropriate. If you look carefully, the original 1950s ridged brick details are still visible in the upper-right corner of the side wall.

Unfortunately (as so often is the case), I didn't know this store existed when I visited the city, so I missed out on my chance to photograph it and check out the interior.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
wnetmacman
Veteran

Re: Fayetteville, AR and the Frankenstein Safeway

Post by wnetmacman »

I'm sure you know this, but the Market Street Safeway in San Francisco is a similar Franken-Safeway. There, though, they went with the rounded side to open up for the marina roof.
Scott Greer
Andrew T.
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

Arguably, Market Street was remodeled seamlessly enough that it doesn't look like a Frankenstein.
But, back to Arkansas...
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I'd really love to have seen what this thing looked like inside when Safeway was still in there.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

This one has been added to the site and mapped now:

http://www.groceteria.com/place/us-arka ... etteville/

Thanks! Another new state!