Roger's Grocery - and a Rural store

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

lowindo

Roger's Grocery - and a Rural store

Post by lowindo »

OK first and foremost i find this a very fascinating and informative website. I am glad i found it.

I know you are not keen on rural grocery stores, but let me tell you what i got and what i am hoping to learn.

I bought a house in Bagdad, FL and there is an old building. The local residents said it was a Roger's Grocery. Is this the same as big star rogers? Or just a coincidence?

Did Rogers have rural stores in northwest FL?

The best i can guess the store was opened sometime between the 30s and 50s

What does a Rogers grocery sign or logo look like? I would very much like to replicate the building to look like an aged/run-down rural grocery store with period signs and antique / junktique and the like.

The front has double doors and the side has a single door. There are windows on the front and rear. There is a very large attic and there is also a chimney which connected to a wood burning stove.

I sourced this sign from the internet. But the locals said it always had a coke sign and this sign fit the original bracketry that was there for a previous coke sign.

This sign i installed and thought it fit the bill perfect for this side. I would also like to Replicate a sign with original rogers grocery logos for this side. Did rogers have signs or just a banner?

I would like to get some old bread signs and possibly some old feed/seed type signs. Also i am about to move in a period 40s-50s 120lb sugar barrel to grow plants in. What other types of signs would of been found on the outside of a rural grocery store during this period?

I would be very interested pictures or anything that says Rogers and also any pictures of rural grocery stores. There are shelves still in the store and there is also a display case with a cash draw built into the counter. But unfortantly all the shelves have been painted over so there aren't any real cool old logos or price tags.

I have not been to the local history museum or library or property appraisal office but i guess its about time to check that out too? Where should i start?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any and all help/criticism/skeptism and the like.

Kaz Szymoniak
lowindo

Re: Roger's Grocery - and a Rural store

Post by lowindo »

Bump for Roger's Logos... Anyone even have an idea of what one looked like?

I bought a huge old coke machine to set out in front of it too. More photos soon. This is similiar but nicer shape than mine. I think mine is cooler, tho it says ICE COLD across the bottom. And looks like it was destined to be out front of the store.

Rural Groceries and ice cold coca cola. mmmmmm....

buckhead
Contributor

Post by buckhead »

I don't think it is the same Rogers...stores they operated were usually not that small and did not get down into North Florida when the Rogers name was still being used IIRC.

If you're looking for other types of signs to use for a period store of that type, also consider snuff and chewing tobacco, e.g., Tops, Tube Rose, Bull Durham, etc. Salt signs were typical, too, e.g., Diamond, Jefferson Island, Sterling, etc. Bread signs varied by area, but look out for Dandee, Colonial, Rainbo, Bost, Bunny, Butter Krust, Merita, Betsy Ross, Dutch Oven, etc. Of course other beverage signs would be nice to have, especially some of the more obscure ones, e.g., Bubble Up, Ale-8-One, Julep, Mr. Cola, Bireley's, Lemonette/Orangette/Grapette, Grapico, etc. Signs for Spry, Carter's Little Liver Pills, 6-6-6, flour brands, baking powder brands, lard brands (Armour and others), Fletcher's Castoria, some hair care products, soap (Lux, Ivory, Palmolive, etc.), and washing powders would also have been common.
lowindo

Post by lowindo »

These first 2 are my store, with my recent addition of a Coke cooler CGD-C Giant Model

These are some other pictures of rural grocery stores with the Look that i am sort of going for.

Comments, Suggestions?
lowindo

Post by lowindo »

HERE is a ROGER's Market. COOL!

lowindo

Post by lowindo »

This is just a sign for a grocery store that i saw in my town. It was no where near the county line so i do not believe that shed to be the actual store.

Sorry i know its not a chain. I will get some pics up of our OLD OLD Piggly wiggly soon. It has some gem painted on logos that i'll post up in the piggly wiggly threads.
GothicPrincess
Contributor

Post by GothicPrincess »

Wonderful photos!!! Reminds me of growing up in small towns and those tiny dime-store markets were what we had closest to us. And Sealtest Ice Cream!!! talk about a flash back making me feel old....lol Thank you for sharing those photos with us.
Jaime...Bradlees Forever!!!
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Hi all. If we could please move this back in the direction of supermarket/grocery history, that would be lovely. Per the forum rules, discussions of collectibles, their values, etc. are and always have been specifcally off-topic and prohibited here (and trust me, there's a good reason for that), so I have deleted a few posts on that subject.

Thanks,
David
drpep
Contributor

Post by drpep »

The Roger's Market pictured ( a photo taken from my flickr page) about four posts above is located in Endicott, NY. I doubt it is related in anyway with the Rogers being discussed in this post.
lowindo

Post by lowindo »

added a new RC cola sign, and now it has a name, given's grocery