Colonial Big Stars (Post 1960's-before A&P takeover)

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

u-save
Contributor

Colonial Big Stars (Post 1960's-before A&P takeover)

Post by u-save »

I love all of the old pictures of the old Colonial/ Big Star food markets from the 50's and 60's. But I'm puzzled i've not seen any pics of (post 1960's) stores that they had, before they became A&P's. Also does anyone know/have any pics/ads of what the old Big Star logo looked like, both in the beginning and during the Grand Union era.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Colonial Big Stars (Post 1960's-before A&P takeover)

Post by Groceteria »

u-save wrote:I love all of the old pictures of the old Colonial/ Big Star food markets from the 50's and 60's. But I'm puzzled i've not seen any pics of (post 1960's) stores that they had, before they became A&P's. Also does anyone know/have any pics/ads of what the old Big Star logo looked like, both in the beginning and during the Grand Union era.
There are several post-1970 photos of Big Star stores, including one with the newer Grand Union-style logo in the Charlotte section of this site:

http://groceteria.com/charlotte/

BTW, only the Georgia stores were sold to A&P. The NC stores were sold to Harris-Teeter, and many in smaller towns were subsequently sold off to regional Piggly Wiggly operators, as has been discussed in several threads and on the site.
Dave
Veteran

Re: Colonial Big Stars (Post 1960's-before A&P takeover)

Post by Dave »

u-save wrote:I love all of the old pictures of the old Colonial/ Big Star food markets from the 50's and 60's. But I'm puzzled i've not seen any pics of (post 1960's) stores that they had, before they became A&P's. Also does anyone know/have any pics/ads of what the old Big Star logo looked like, both in the beginning and during the Grand Union era.
Look to the left for the Big Star logo...